Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago
5-Year Strategic Plan
The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD) Board of Commissioners and MWRD leadership are working together to develop a new Strategic Plan. This new Plan will build on the accomplishments of our 2015-2020 Strategic Plan and will guide our direction for the next few years.
Our goals are to:
- Articulate the mission, vision, and strategic goals for the MWRD for the next five years
- Identify a set of strategic initiatives to achieve those goals
- Provide a framework for measuring progress and reviewing/updating the Plan on an annual basis
A Steering Committee has been formed to oversee the effort. Members include:
- Commissioner Marcelino Garcia, co-chair
- Commissioner Debra Shore, co-chair
- Brian Perkovich, Executive Director
- Mary Ann Boyle, Treasurer
- Susan Morakalis, General Counsel
- John Murray, Director of Maintenance and Operations
- Catherine O’Connor, Director of Engineering
Please view these video messages from members of the Steering Committee for a short introduction to the strategic planning effort and to the survey linked below:
In addition to the Steering Committee, the following firms and individuals are facilitating this effort on a pro bono basis:
- Janine Witko, Principal, Americas Water Leader
- Vincent Lee, Associate Principal
- Audrey Fremier, Water Engineer
- Civic Consulting Alliance
- Kirsten Carroll, Associate Principal
- Alec Noggle, Analyst
- Evan Oesterle, Kearney Fellow
Strategic Planning Process
The planning process began in September and is expected to be completed in early 2021. We are taking a comprehensive, staged approach that consists of four consecutive phases.
Take the Survey
Now it’s your turn. The Steering Committee has identified a number of topics to develop during the strategic planning process. These include continuing to protect water quality in Lake Michigan and area waterways, recovering natural resources, and ensuring that communities across Cook County can participate in flood resiliency programs. As a key stakeholder we would like to get your input on these topics.
We’ve provided a link below to a short survey (5-10 minutes to complete). The survey begins with a question about how you think the MWRD is doing overall. Then we describe the topics and ask you to rate their importance over the next five years. At the end of the survey, we provide space for any additional feedback you have. All responses are anonymous and will be considered with other inputs as we develop the new Strategic Plan.
On behalf of the Board of Commissioners, MWRD leadership, and the Steering Committee, thank you for your participation!
Complete the survey - Deadline: December 1, 2020