The MWRD works to manage stormwater, but we can’t do it alone. Residents, homeowners and businesses have opportunities to manage water on their own property as well.
One of the easiest ways to capture water is by installing a rain barrel. The MWRD and Openlands partnered to develop a rain barrel installation video. Click here to view.
The University of Illinois Extension, Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant and Illinois Nutrient Loss Reduction Strategy teamed up to create a video series called Stormwater@Home. This series provides tips to help prevent water from pooling in yards, basement flooding and excess runoff from flowing into local waterways.
- Stormwater runoff
- Rain gardens
- Permeable pavement
- Green roofs
- Simple steps for water pollution prevention
The Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant (IISG) also provides information about managing stormwater:
- Stormwater and Green Infrastructure
- The South Lake Michigan Rain Garden Manual
- Rain Garden: A Native Planting Guide for Rain Garden Beds
- Illinois Native Plants for the Home Landscape