The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD) is accepting applications from Cook County individuals, organizations and businesses for its 2019 Sustainable Landscaping and Biosolids Beneficial Reuse Awards until September 15.
The awards recognize the activities and innovations from entities, such as park districts, villages, schools, golf courses and athletic clubs in two separate categories: Sustainable Landscaping and Beneficial Use of Exceptional Quality (EQ) Biosolids and Biosolids Compost. Exceptional Quality biosolids and biosolids compost are a product of the MWRD’s water treatment process that are used as soil amendments and sustainable alternative to other materials.
- The beneficial use of EQ biosolids and biosolids compost may be demonstrated through any one or a combination of the following:
- Continuous commitment to maximize the use of EQ biosolids or compost to improve the cost-effectiveness of landscape management.
- Promotion such as, but not limited to, referrals and field demonstrations of EQ biosolids or compost.
- Educational efforts on the environmental/economic benefits of using EQ biosolids or compost.
Qualifications for the Sustainable Landscaping award may be demonstrated through the innovative use of green infrastructure, capital investment, and how an individual or organization promotes green landscaping to educate the community. The goal is to present an award to an individual or community that integrates sustainable practices in the environment that manages stormwater. For the purpose for the award, green infrastructure includes:
- Rainwater Harvesting, i.e. through rain barrels
- Rain Gardens
- Native Landscaping
- Stormwater Trees
- Porous Pavement
- Green Roofs
- Green Alleys, Streets, and Parking Lots
Activities completed after January 1, 2014 are eligible for an award, and an individual or organization is eligible once every five years. Submittals should include figures, illustrations, narrative, and photos to help further explain the efforts. The evaluation process may include a site visit.
Applications are available on mwrd.org/sustainability-summit.
Submit application packages by September 15, 2019 to TianG@mwrd.org or mail to:
Biosolids Utilization and Soil Science
Monitoring & Research Department
Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago
6001 W. Pershing Road
Cicero, IL 60804
Awards will be presented at the MWRD’s Seventh Annual Sustainability Summit on October 22, 2019. For more information about the biosolids program, awards or Sustainability Summit, contact (312) 751-6633.